To help protect Arizona youth from accidental drownings, our founder Kevin Rowe presented a generous donation of $2,500 towards the Swim Safe campaign whose aim is to raise money that would provide 1,000 free youth swim lessons.
The Arizona Swim Safe campaign was created through a partnership between Valley of the Sun YMCA and AZFamily 3TV CBS 5.
Hard Facts About Drowning
According to data shared by the Swim Safe campaign, drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children under the age of four. Drowning is also the second leading cause of unintentional death for children under the age of 12.
Here are additional drowning facts the campaign would like the public to be aware of:
- Drowning can happen in as little as 20 seconds
- 88% of children who drowned were under some form of supervision
- 88% of children who have formal swim lessons are less likely to drown
- 60% of youth drowning incidents occur within 10 feet of safety
- Three children die each day as a result of drowning in the United States
You can join us in helping to protect our youth by supporting the Arizona Swim Safe campaign. Click here to be taken to the online donation page and help raise money for 1,000 free swim lessons.
To learn more specifics about the campaign and how you can take the pledge to increase water safety awareness within the community, visit ValleyYMCA.org/water-watcher/
Watch this news segment to learn more about our involvement: